A Caffeine Headache or migraine can happen in two ways. One, you may be suffering from dehydration because of a caffeine overdose. Two, you may have recently eliminated coffee drinking from your diet. Either way, you are hoping to get some relief as soon as possible. The good news is you can manage your caffeine headaches and get rid of them within an hour by applying any of the following four simple tips:
Here are some questions that are asked when it comes to caffeine headaches, overdose and withdrawals
How much caffeine is a lethal dose?
The lethal dose for caffeine is in the neighborhood of 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight (one kilogram equals roughly 2.2 pounds). While the average person’s caffeine consumption is around 200 milligrams a day, the Mayo Clinic advises against exceeding 500 to 600 milligrams per day.
How much does it take to overdose on caffeine?
But how much caffeine, exactly, does it take to kill you? The FDA says that you can safely consume about 400 milligrams per day, but it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll die even if you consume more than that (400 milligrams is roughly equal to four eight-ounce cups of joe).
Can you die from an overdose of caffeine?
It’s easier than ever to die of a caffeine overdose. … Experts say that a lethal dose is between 5 and 10 grams of caffeine, for your average healthy adult. A 20-ounce cup of Starbucks dark roast has 340mg of caffeine in it, so you’d have to drink between 15 and 30 of them before you die.
What are the symptoms of a caffeine overdose?
According to the official DSM-5 Criteria, an official diagnosis of caffeine overdose(called “Caffeine Intoxication”) is made when any five of the following symptoms are present: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushed face, diuresis (you keep passing urine), gastrointestinal disturbance.
What are the symptoms of too much caffeine?
- Jitters, Restlessness, and Nervousness
- Increased heartbeat
- Heart palpitations (cardiac arrhythmia)
Get Rid Of Caffeine Headaches In 4 Simple Ways
- Take caffeine pills. Each caffeine tablet usually contains 200 mg of concentrated caffeine. Taking two tablets should be safe for you if you have not taken any other source of caffeine for the day. This option is fine only if you do not mind having caffeine back into your system. You are likely to feel its effect after an hour. Note that drinking coffee can be truly addictive. Even if you have just recently started drinking coffee, your body may have quickly considered it as part of your diet. Thus, in basic terms, your body is probably longing for caffeine now. Your headache is a result of this longing. You may be experiencing other related symptoms, such as fatigue and inability to focus.If you are a heavy coffee drinker, you may skip taking caffeine pills to cure a headache. Experts say that caffeine-activated pills and drugs may not work well for patients who already have a lot of it in their system.
- Drink lots of water. Assuming your body is experiencing caffeine overdose, you need to drink lots of water to re-hydrate. Medical experts recommend drinking six to eight glasses of water every day. Coffee certainly contributes to your required daily fluid intake, but remember caffeinated drinks also work as a diuretic. This means that it helps in producing more urine, consequently dehydrating the body. This is the reason why pregnant women are typically discouraged from drinking coffee. Without caffeine making it worse, their bladders are already working overtime because of pressure from their growing uterus. Your headache will be gone once your rehydration requirement (also known as electrolyte balance) is met.
- Try aromatherapy. You may use lavender essential oil if you are fighting off a headache at bedtime. Its sedative properties will help you rest well during the night. If you do not have an essential oil diffuser, simply place one to three drops of lavender on a cotton ball or tissue. Then place it near your nose and inhale. Test it quickly to make sure the scent is truly soothing for you. You may also try Roman Chamomile Essential Oil or Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Go for a great hand massage. You may either see a reflexologist to massage your hands. Alternatively, you may use the pinch method on each of your hands. Using one hand’s thumb and index finger, lightly pinch the soft, fleshy area between the base of the other hand’s thumb and index finger. Do it repeatedly for a few seconds, or until a headache is gone.
Different individuals experience varying degrees of pain and intensity of a caffeine headache.
According to Caffeine Informer, the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal may last anywhere from a few days to a week for light caffeine consumers. However, it can be longer, even two months or more for heavy coffee drinkers. As always use caffeine in moderation as they can cause migraines or headaches.
You might like this: 6 headache locations and their causes